Thursday 21 August 2008

Well done Michelle!

Hartlepool If we can, you can Challenge winner Michelle Taylor went to the Harrogate Lingerie Show on Monday to showcase her work amongst the best designers in the world. This is the first time at the show that she's revealed her own designs for her freelance business, rather than as a representative for Playboy. Coming back on a bit of a high, she tells us about her experience:

My day at the Harrogate Lingerie Show

I am so thrilled and feeling really good and focused coming home after the show. I know I can make it happen and am even more determined now. The potential in the lingerie sector is huge!

Prior to the day I made some special business cards in the form of giant love heart lollies (you know the way ones that you get from the sea-side) I then made my own design labels with my number and my email address on it tied with a big red ribbon. The original packets were tacky and so I cut down some plastic bags that I bought and sealed them neatly creating my own packaging.

I went onto stands asking if they take on freelancers and showed my portfolio to a few companies. A lot of the companies design in Italy/France but they were impressed and said they would pass on my details.

I definitely re-newed two contacts that I hope will turn into long term freelance opportunities, (a Chinese lady that I have worked with before and lost contact with wants me to design her next swim range ) and a top designer lingerie brand was thrilled to hear I had gone freelance as she needs a luxury /high end designer for her range and wants me to work with her on it.

I also chatted to a the lady who owns a high end lingerie store in London. She has stocked my previous designs and loves my retro/pretty hand-writing...she said when my sample range is ready she would like me to go and see her again!! It would be a great honour to have my range in her store (all the celebs like Sadie Frost/Jude Law go in apparently). Mariah Carey bought one of my corsets from there too.

All in all a great day... I also was interviewed by the Lingerie Buyer editor (who I have know but we have stayed in touch) and she has said that she would love me to go and meet her again when I have my sample range done in November.

Michelle Taylor

No comments: