Monday 9 November 2009

Ali intervenes to save couples' dream honeymoon

An engaged couple who cancelled their honeymoon to Norway after the fiancé's pay was cut have had their dream trip saved by a travel firm, which is paying the whole bill.

Julie Berry, of Knole Road, Dartford, is due to marry fiancé Nigel May on January 3, but she was devastated when they had to make the hard decision to cancel their honeymoon.

But Ms Berry got the surprise of her life when travel company Activities Abroad called her back after she cancelled the trip, which includes husky sledging and the Northern Lights.

The 39-year-old said: "We were desperately looking forward to our honeymoon. It is such a romantic place to go and then we heard the news that Nigel had to take a massive pay cut, along with everyone else in his company, because they're just not taking a lot of money during the recession. So although we're not destitute, something had to give and it was the honeymoon.

"We were so disappointed and all weekend I was dreading making the call to the company.When I called up, my voice broke and I think the woman could tell I was on the verge of tears and must have told the manager, because he then called me back and offered to pay for it!

"I was completely overwhelmed and shocked. I phoned back three times to make sure I wasn't dreaming."

Ms Berry has been with Mr May, 42, for about four years . He proposed on New Year's Day this year.

She said: "I just want to say a massive thank-you to the company and especially the manager for such an amazing gift. "You have no idea how happy you have made us."

IWCYC member Alistair McLean, who owns the Northumberland-based company, said: "Julie rang us up and they were having a bit of a tough time of it and she sounded so distraught that I thought, ok, I'll do something nice and cover it for them.

"Everybody is having a hard time at the moment and not enough people help each other out.

"They were absolutely delighted - it gave me a very warm feeling inside!"

To find out more about the company's holidays, visit http://www.activitiesabroad.com/

To read about Ali's entrepreneurial journey, click here http://www.ifwecanyoucan.co.uk/Entrepreneurs/Alistair-McLean

No comments: