Tuesday 15 June 2010

Nicky Is All Set For A Bumper Month

One of the regions top young female entrepreneurs is all set for the sights and sounds of small steps, which could lead to one giant leap which is sure to change her home and business life forever.

Not only has 24 year old Nicky Gray been shortlisted for a prestigious business award but she is also eight months pregnant and will very soon be expecting her first baby.

The Whitley Bay based businesswoman said, ‘I applied online for the ‘Take One Small Step’ competition with Barclays and thought nothing more of it until I received a phone call telling me that I had beaten off 444 entries from across the North East to become a finalist in the competition. However, I then noticed that the final for the competition would be at the same time as my baby’s due date so July is going to be a busy month.

The idea behind Nicky’s new business, Fidgets in Whitley Bay came from seeing her three year old autistic nephew struggling to get a hair cut, taking any child for a hair cut can be a bit of a drama for most parents and as Ryan finds it hard to understand things Nicky knew there must be a way to make this experience easier but more enjoyable for families. After months of research Nicky seized the opportunity and launched the North East’s first salon for children. ‘Some children are nervous and don’t look forward to having their hair cut, but here they can’t wait to sit in the Brum, Lightening McQueen or our Barbie cars and watch cartoons on the television whilst their mums and dads can relax.

‘I am both shattered and excited, just when I thought Fidgets was ready for me to take a step back and go on maternity leave, the hard work needs to begin to get public votes to be in with a chance of winning this award. But I need to give it my all, business is tough but getting an opportunity like this is incredible, I just hope my baby stays put until after the competition said Nicky, who is hoping that enough public votes will help her to become the overall ‘Take One Small Step’ champion of the North East.

‘The preliminary stages took place with a judging panel but now it’s all down to the public going online from the 7th June to the 4th July and casting their vote at https://www.takeonesmallstep.co.uk//Entry/View/3117 or by texting FIDGET to 87222 The overall regional winner will receive £50,000 pounds in which to invest in their business and Nicky has huge expansion plans in place. You can also see Nicky in action at Fidgets by viewing this video

‘It would be a dream come true to win and if it were to happen then I’d open up another Fidgets in the region in 2010 taking on another five employees. I would then roll out the concept as a nationwide franchise across the UK for other young entrepreneurs to start up their own business, and if I did not win then taking Fidgets and making it accessible to every child in the UK will take me a little longer to achieve.

She is certainly no stranger to running her own business, back in 2006 Nicky launched Kiki’s Kabin indoor play centre in North Shields and she now employs 24 members of staff at both her Fidgets and Kiki’s Kabin enterprises. ‘I have learnt so much about business, managing teams and building a good brand reputation from running Kiki’s which I hope will stand me in great stead for the nationwide push of Fidgets.

‘July is going to be an exciting month and although coming up with business names is quite natural we have still no ideas for our baby boy, so I may have to ask the mums and dads for their tips when they come into the salon.

No comments: