Wednesday 17 November 2010

GLOBAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP WEEK Day 3 - Are entrepreneurs still seen as stereotypical?

Welcome to our third Global Entrepreneurship Week blog. While most people agree that entrepreneurship is the key to the economy’s recovery, many people still think of entrepreneurs as fitting a certain typecast.

The Entrepreneurs’ Forum and their campaign, ‘If we can, you can’ is seeking to explore these myths today as part of Global Entrepreneurship Week.

Below are the experiences, views and stories of entrepreneurs involved in the If we can, you can community and the Entrepreneurs’ Forum.

If you have a story to share, please leave your comments here, or visit our Facebook page to take part in the debate. We know there is more than one side to every story so if you have an experience or opinion about any of these myths we’ve been talking about this week, please do get involved and air your voice. Thank you so much for your comments so far - you can read the views of others on the previous subjects here

There is also video content on this topic on our TV channel – click here to view.


Ali McLean, Activities Abroad: "You hear about Peter Jones setting up his own tennis academy when he was sixteen. It would never in a million years have occurred to me to even sell sweets to my classmates in school or something. But there does come a time when you realise, you just can’t work for anybody but yourself."


Angela Brown, Training in Childcare: “When I was younger, I thought all business people did was take advantage of people to make money. Sharks in suits really. I think that’s the public perception of entrepreneurs: just people who chase cash.

However, the most successful people I know have not been driven by money or the desire to be multimillionaires by the time they’re a certain age. Business people chase a variety of things, be it an idea or a dream they have, or just something they have a passion for and will drive them to reach a goal. If they’re true to what they believe in, they’re the ones who appear to me to be the most successful. I’m quite proud to call myself a businesswoman now.”


Ian Smith, Surreal Creative: Over the last 30 years my job titles have included book binder, print finisher, estimator, production manager, salesman, software consultant, sales director, sales & marketing director and finally an owner manager.

Since 1998 I had been sales and marketing director at a design and print company (and before that I had been self employed as a consultant within the printing sector). I had become frustrated with the lack of trust in people’s natural abilities and its belief in KPIs. I am not saying these are not required in business but a lot of the time they dehumanise the process. If you measure everything then people stop being people. It was this loss of the business being about the people that made me realise I needed to change what I was doing.

I was just unhappy with my existing role and, having done a lot of work about myself while studying NLP, I realised that the only person who could change that was me! I looked into a number of options and the day I walked out (yes just walked out) I had numerous offers of work including other directorships. Deep down though I knew it was time for me to go it alone!

Eddie Czestochowski, Cell Pack Solutions: “I’m not what you would call a naturally clever person; nor am I a Richard Branson. I suppose I’m a living example that ordinary people can do this sort of thing, and I’m always trying to encourage that message.

I’m able to see my kids more often than when I was working for somebody else. I used to travel for three or four days at a time at someone else’s beck and call. Now, I can come home whenever I want. That does mean that I sometimes work at the weekend, but my family comes first and my work can fit around them.”


Louise Bell, Healthy Glow: “I was really pretty naïve and probably didn’t know much about running a business even though I was convinced I had something worth pushing and the determination to get Healthy Glow going, whatever it took.

How times have changed. And I’ve learnt so much in such a short space of time."


Emily Pitkethly, Emily’s Ark: “I started my business with no training, no money and no help. Every challenge that business sent my way I learned to cope with- when we began to need a website I taught myself web design as having one made professionally was too expensive, when we needed to keep detailed books and use accounting software I taught myself the basics and went from there. I started by having a small stall at Hexham Christmas Market, my confidence was low and I didn't expect to sell anything- so when I sold out I was thrilled!

Jonathan Wade, Neuro Partners: “Of course I want a good living but I’m in my mid 40’s now and I wanted something of mine to be left behind, I wanted something to be proud of.”


Remember to add your opinion – leave your comments here or visit our Facebook page. View more videos throughout the week on our TV site here

No comments: